SSS Room 6's Fabulous 1st Graders
Degrees and Certifications:
Trinity College of Vermont, BA - Elementary Ed. Pennsylvania State University - BS - Recreation & Parks
Mr. Neil is the teacher in Summit Street Room 6, working with 1st graders and the kindergartners in Mrs. Dall's class.
He has been teaching at Summit Street for the past 24 years, and loves every minute he spends at SSS. This is also his 29th year in the Essex Junction School District
When not at school you can see him running the roads of Essex Junction, coaching at a football or lacrosse game at EHS, fishing, or spending time with his family, Kathy, Kasey, Daniel, and his grandson, Leo, and Anna and her new husband Dan.
Also ask him about the many adventures of Max his crazy cat!! He loves working with the students of Summit Street School.
Switched-Up Science has begun!
Today, Students wrote words to describe ice skating. Try helping your student to use more descriptions in their writing tonight. Please remember to have them bring back their Writing Folders tomorrow, as we will be meeting with Miss Bergstrom's 3rd graders to share our stories in the afternoon. We are excited for all the growth we have seen during "I Love Writing" week!
" Sparkle Words"
Today, students practiced using "sparkle" words to replace"said." A "sparkle word" is a more specific word to describe something. For example, using exclaim, shout, or whisper instead of said. Ask your child what word they used to replace "said." Try helping your child replace some words with "sparkle" words in their writing tonight!
ILove to Write Week
Beginning Monday, Summit School will be celebrating "I love to write week>" (March 12-16) Every student will bring home a folder with different grade leve activities for each day of the week.
Special writing tools and suggestions will be supplied for their writing enjoyment and the week will conclude with a school wide writing celebration.
Each student will share their story with a partner from another class. We are looking forward to this exciting wonderful writing adventure!!!!!
Here are some of the things happening in Room 6 this month...
- Ice-Skating - We will ice skate on Friday 3/9 and Friday3/30 in the afternoon at the Essex Ice Facility. We will be leaving Summit at 12:30, and skating from 12:50-2:00pm. Families are welcome to join us to skate. You may walk with us, or meet us at the Ice Rink. STUDENTS NEED ALL OF THEIR REGULAR WINTER CLOTHING, AS WELL AS A HELMET OF ANY KIND. Thanks to Mrs. Hutton for this fun activity, that is a lifetime sport!
- Monday, March 12th is a half day of school for students, they will be dismissed at 12noon. Please make arrangements for what your child will be doing for this early dismissal day.
- Fine Arts Night at EHS is Wednesday, March 14th from 5:30-8:30pm. Stop by any time and check out the amazing artwork that our students have made. There will also be music and other entertainment.
- Report cards come home on Friday, March 16th.
- Parent conferences are on Friday, March 23rd. This is a NO-School Day for students. Mr. Neil will send a reminder of your scheduled time in a futre Friday Folder.
As an added FYI, there will be a "Bridges and Breakfast" math event on Friday, April 6th for all 1st graders and parents. This will happen from 8-9am in the Summit gym. It's a chance to learn all about the math that your child does every day as part of the Bridges Math program.
Holiday LuncheonPosted by David Neil on 12/13/2017 2:00:00 PM
Picture Retakes and other InfoPosted by David Neil on 10/11/2017 2:00:00 PM
Bar-B-QuePosted by David Neil on 10/5/2017 1:00:00 PM
RemindersPosted by David Neil on 9/13/2017
"Do Something at the end!!!Posted by David Neil on 9/12/2017
Unifix Cube Challenge!Posted by David Neil on 9/8/2017
Wednesday Math Work PlacesPosted by David Neil on 9/6/2017
Tuesday's HighlightsPosted by David Neil on 9/5/2017
Tuesday VisitPosted by David Neil on 8/25/2017