How do many machines and vehicles work?
Intro level look at the power and transmission systems of machines.
Standards Addressed in the Unit
Reasoning and Problem Solving
PROBLEM SOLVING/Types of Problems: 2.3 Students solve problems of increasing complexity. This is evident when students:
- aa. Solve problems that require processing several pieces of information; and
- PROBLEM SOLVING/Improving Effectiveness: 2.4 Students devise and test ways of improving the effectiveness of a system. This is evident when students:
- a. Evaluate the effectiveness of a system;
- b. Identify possible improvements;
- c. Test-run the improvements and evaluate their effects;
- d. Make changes and monitor their effects over time;
- e. Identify further possible improvements; and
- f. Test-run and evaluate results.
RELATIONSHIPS/Teamwork: 3.10 Students perform effectively on teams that set and achieve goals, conduct investigations, solve problems, and create solutions (e.g., by using consensus-building and cooperation to work toward group decisions
Fields of Knowledge
Design & Technology 4. Students utilize a technological/engineering process to solve practical problems to meet human needs and wants.
- 1. Create design solutions:
- ? built on specifications, with an understanding of constraints (cost, weight, environment), and tolerances that effect performance;
- ? include mathematical and/or mechanical models of their design;
- ? include steps and sequences to efficiently build a prototype that conforms to specifications;
- ? test prototypes;
- ? use the results to modify designs
Working in teams and using Lego Tehnics buildings sets student build a variety of machines. These activities explore many types of mechanical transmission of power ie: belt, gear, chain, and combinations of these systems.
Student teams are challenged to build a hill climbing vehicle. (inclined plane) A second activity is to design a vehicle that will be over or the closest to the red finish line when challenged by a second teams vehicle.
Teacher observation and success level of final activity.
Lego Technics sets. Lego support and teacher generated materials