Design & Technology Education Construction Energy Awareness:
Under the Sea Design Brief
1. The home will be designed for four to six individuals basically for a
family to live long term comfortably under the sea.
2. The home will be designed to include at minimum: A.Bathroom(s),
B. Sleeping Qtrs., C. Kitchen and dining area, and D. A communications/entertainment center.
3. The home may include other areas but not limited to: storage space,
passage ways to access higher and/or lower levels, and a fitness area .
The structure will have at minimum two exits and one viewing port
per living area.
4. Each team will develop a series of drawings using Architecture.
This would include the following: Site plan, main level,
second level(include any other levels), and elevation drawings of
the front and side of the home.
5. A business/company name will be developed and used as part of
the permit process and sign. For sign see sign guide. Use Print Shop.
6. Each team will write a letter requesting a building permit
application from the Under Sea Development Federation (USDF).
Use Microsoft Word Professional letter template.
7. Each team will prent a Powerpoint that will summarize the
type of air,heating, water, electrical, and waste systems the
home will be utilizing. The home must incorporate alternative
energy sources for hot water, heating, electrical needs, and
an air back-up system.
The powerpoint will explain how these systems work. How the home
was designed to be energy efficient and its potential occupants
able to conserve energy will be discussed. All sources will
be noted. Students will have access to the internet during class time.
8. A scale model will be built based on CAD drawings.
All models will be constructed of household recycled materials.
Tentative grading format for this activity will be as follows:
20% Finished (CAD drawn) set of drawings.
10% The completed letter requesting the permit and the business sign.
25% Report on building utilities.
10% Quizzes: Unit quiz/ Scale measurement quiz
25% Completed model home based on original floor plan and
10% Effort / Attitude grade.
Essex Town Technology Standards:
2. Students use knowledge and understanding of technological
systems to respond to a variety of issues.
3. Students understand that people control the outputs and impacts
of our expanding technological activities in the areas of: communication, construction, manufacturing, power and transportation,
energy sources, health technology, and biotechnology.