Farm to School in EWSD
FARM TO SCHOOL NEWS: Students at EES had the opportunity to try beets in a new smoothie recipe! They were all smiles after trying the new recipe! Check out the photos below.
Creamy Skinny Coleslaw
- 2/3 cup non-fat plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice-fresh
- 2 tbsp granualted sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground celery seed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 oz bag of shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup red onion or shallots, finely minced
- 2 tbsp scallions, sliced
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Greek yogurt, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, celery seed, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined
- Add coleslaw mix, red onion and scallions. Toss to combine, making sure all coleslaw is coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Source: The Chunky Chef
EWSD Receives $4,500 Grant for Farm to School Initiatives
The Essex Westford School District (EWSD) Child Nutrition Program/Farm to School and the Farm to School Community Committee have received a $4,500 Lowe’s Toolbox for Education grant for hands-on learning in the District’s gardens and classrooms initiatives. The mission of the grant application was based on the goal to promote healthy eating and raise awareness of local food systems. Read the full story.