Farm to School in EWSD
FARM TO SCHOOL NEWS: April's Harvest of the Month is Carrots! Did you know that when consumed in large quantities, carrots can add a yellow tint to skin??
Honey Carrot Bars
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 tbsp rolled oats (not instant)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, then mix in oil, honey and vanilla.
- Add the flours, cinnamon, and baking soda and mix until well-combined. Stir in the carrots.
- Grease and flour the baking pan and spread batter evenly in the pan. Sprinkle the top with oats.
- Bake for ~ 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bars comes out clean. Let cool before cutting.
Source: Vermont Harvest of the Month
EWSD Receives $4,500 Grant for Farm to School Initiatives
The Essex Westford School District (EWSD) Child Nutrition Program/Farm to School and the Farm to School Community Committee have received a $4,500 Lowe’s Toolbox for Education grant for hands-on learning in the District’s gardens and classrooms initiatives. The mission of the grant application was based on the goal to promote healthy eating and raise awareness of local food systems. Read the full story.