Farm to School in EWSD
WE’VE TAKEN THE PLEDGE! The EWSD Farm to School Program (Child Nutrition Program) has taken the Vermont Harvest of the Month pledge to incorporate seasonally appropriate vegetables into our weekly Harvest Salad. Vermont Harvest of the Month is a statewide farm to school campaign that promotes the use of seasonal and local Vermont foods. January’s highlighted product is DAIRY and each week our cafeterias will be incorporating a dairy product into our Harvest Salad. Check out the home version of our recipe for our current Harvest Salad below!
Garbanzo Bean Salad
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 cucumbers, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black olives, drained and chopped
- 1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian-style salad dressing
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine the beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, garlic, olives, cheese, salad dressing, lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper.
- Toss together and refrigerate 2 hours before serving.
- Serve chilled.
Source: All Recipes
For more information about the Harvest of the Month, please visit Vermont Harvest of the Month
EWSD Receives $4,500 Grant for Farm to School Initiatives
The Essex Westford School District (EWSD) Child Nutrition Program/Farm to School and the Farm to School Community Committee have received a $4,500 Lowe’s Toolbox for Education grant for hands-on learning in the District’s gardens and classrooms initiatives. The mission of the grant application was based on the goal to promote healthy eating and raise awareness of local food systems. Read the full story.