Farm to School in EWSD
FARM TO SCHOOL NEWS: The EWSD Farm to School Program (Child Nutrition Program) has been hard at work over the past few months helping the many schools in our district develop garden plans. Just about every school has a small garden that is used to grow a variety of fruits and vegetables. Be sure to check back often for photos of progress in each garden!
Longer days and warmer weather means that Spring is upon us! Our Harvest of the Month highlighted product for April is CARROTS! Each week we will be carrots in some form into our Harvest Salads on the salad bar. Check out the Harvest of the Month website for some delicious recipes and fun activities!
Carrot and Pasta Salad with Lemon Parsley Vinaigrette
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 16-ounce box of pasta, cooked
- 1 cup cannellini beans
- 3 small carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup cucumbers, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute garlic in 1 teaspoon olive oil and a sprinkle of salt for 2-4 minutes until translucent.
- In a food processor add sauteed garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, parlsey, remaining olive oil, vinegar and salt to taste. Blend until well mixed, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, beans and slowly add the vinaigrette. Mix until well combined and serve cold or at room temperature.
EWSD Receives $4,500 Grant for Farm to School Initiatives
The Essex Westford School District (EWSD) Child Nutrition Program/Farm to School and the Farm to School Community Committee have received a $4,500 Lowe’s Toolbox for Education grant for hands-on learning in the District’s gardens and classrooms initiatives. The mission of the grant application was based on the goal to promote healthy eating and raise awareness of local food systems. Read the full story.