Farm to School in EWSD
FARM TO SCHOOL NEWS: We are so excited to announce the expansion of the EWSD Farm to School Program and the accomplishment of having a growing space at almost every school in the district! We have been working hard with the teachers and staff at each school to make sure that their gardens are up and running by the end of the school year! Starting in September, we will begin the integration of vegetables from our gardens into our school lunches. Our gardens will help to ensure that we are Growing hearts and minds for a better today and tomorrow: everyday, every way, every one.
Sauteed Ginger and Kale
- 1 bunch fresh kale, untrimmed
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Destem kale and chop leaves into strips. Thinly slice stems, chopping off any rough ends.
- Wash and dry leaves and stems.
- In large saute pans, combine oil, garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, stirring frequently for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add stems and leaves and saute for about 10 minutes. Leaves will begin to wilt and turn dark green.
- Add soy sauce and continue cooking until greens and stems are soft and sow has been reduced to a glaze, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and sesame seeds.
Source: Harvest of the Month
EWSD Receives $4,500 Grant for Farm to School Initiatives
The Essex Westford School District (EWSD) Child Nutrition Program/Farm to School and the Farm to School Community Committee have received a $4,500 Lowe’s Toolbox for Education grant for hands-on learning in the District’s gardens and classrooms initiatives. The mission of the grant application was based on the goal to promote healthy eating and raise awareness of local food systems. Read the full story.