Farm to School in EWSD
FARM TO SCHOOL NEWS: October was National Farm to School Month! Here at Child Nutrition and Farm to School, we are celebrating by incorporating local fruits and vegetables on our menus. We always serve Vermont Maple Syrup as well as fresh apples grown from a variety of VT farms!
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb dried pasta
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 2 cups butternut squash puree
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water. Drain 2 minutes shy of package instructions and set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme. Cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for about 3 minutes, then add milk-stirring until sauce begins to thicken (a few minutes).
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in cheddar. Add squash, mustard, nutmeg, cayenne and black pepper and mix in. Season to taste with salt.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta until sufficiently coated. Using spatula, transfer to a 9X13 baking dish.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven until sauce bubbles around the edges, about 25-30 minutes.
Source: Vermont Harvest of the Month
EWSD Receives $4,500 Grant for Farm to School Initiatives
The Essex Westford School District (EWSD) Child Nutrition Program/Farm to School and the Farm to School Community Committee have received a $4,500 Lowe’s Toolbox for Education grant for hands-on learning in the District’s gardens and classrooms initiatives. The mission of the grant application was based on the goal to promote healthy eating and raise awareness of local food systems. Read the full story.