Farm to School in EWSD
FARM TO SCHOOL NEWS: October is National Farm to School Month! Here at Child Nutrition and Farm to School, we are celebrating by incorporating local fruits and vegetables on our menus. We always serve Vermont Maple Syrup as well as fresh apples grown from a variety of VT farms!
You can celebrate Farm to School Month by cooking up this delicious recipe to include the VT Harvest of the Month:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced kale, stemps removed
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tortillas
- pinch of cumin
- Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium heat. Add chopped pepper and onion, and cook until softened (around 3 minutes) Sprinkle with cumin and add kale, stirring gently. Cook until kale is cooked through and soft then remove from heat.
- Heat another pan over medium heat. Place tortilla in pan and add half of cheese and kale mixture.
- Fold tortilla in half, and cook over medium heat until cheese begins to melt. Flip and remove from heat when all of the cheese is melted.
- Repeat steps 2-3. Cut quesadillas in half and enjoy!
Source: Vermont Harvest of the Month
EWSD Receives $4,500 Grant for Farm to School Initiatives
The Essex Westford School District (EWSD) Child Nutrition Program/Farm to School and the Farm to School Community Committee have received a $4,500 Lowe’s Toolbox for Education grant for hands-on learning in the District’s gardens and classrooms initiatives. The mission of the grant application was based on the goal to promote healthy eating and raise awareness of local food systems. Read the full story.