The district will consider information obtained through the criminal record checks and registry checks when weighing the veracity, character and general suitability of individuals to provide services within the EWSD.
The following background results shall automatically disqualify individuals from employment consideration within our district.
This is not an exhaustive list of disqualifying conditions.
Other records not mentioned below shall be considered on a case by case basis.
The Superintendent or his/her designee shall have the sole discretion of determining whether or not the background check result is acceptable:
- Criminal Records Check: No individual subject to the checks shall be eligible for hire (or continued employment if employment commences before the results of the checks are received) if they have been convicted of one or more of the following crimes (taken from 16 V.S.A. § § 252 and 1698). The list of disqualifying crimes is not meant to be all inclusive. For convictions not listed, eligibility to provide service under the contract shall be considered on a case by case basis. The totality of the crimes shall also be considered when determining an individual’s eligibility to provide service under the contract. The decision of the Superintendent in these matters shall be final:
- Sex offender crimes listed in 13 V.S.A. § 5401(10) (sex offender definition for registration purposes):
- Crimes involving a victim listed in 13 V.S.A. § 5301(7)
- Contributing to juvenile delinquency under 13 V.S.A. § 1301
- Cruelty to children under 13 V.S.A. § 1304
- Cruelty by person having custody under 13 V.S.A. § 1305
- Prohibited acts under 13 V.S.A. § § 2632 and 2635
- Displaying obscene materials to minors under 13 V.S.A. § 2804b
- Sexual exploitation of children under 13 V.S.A. chapter 64
- Drug sales, including selling or dispensing under 18 V.S.A. § § 4230(b), 4231(b), 4232(b), 4233(b), 4234(b), 4234a, 4234b, 4235(c), 4235a(b), and 4237
- Abuse, Neglect or Exploitation of Vulnerable Adults, under 33 V.S.A. § 6902(D)
- Sexual activity by a caregiver, under 33 V.S.A. § 6902(D)
- Crimes that are cause for licensing actions listed in 16 V.S.A. § 1698(1)(B)-(D)
- DCF and DDAIL Registries: No individual whose name appears on any registry of listings of substantiated abuse cases shall be eligible to serve (or continue to serve) as a licensed educator, substitute, paraeducator, or any other position within the EWSD that involves regular direct contact with school children. The Superintendent shall have the final say as to which positions involve regular direct contact with school children.