Title I Programs
What is a Title I program?
Title I is a federally funded program designed to ensure that all children have an opportunity to access a high quality education. The goal of this federal program is to close the achievement gap for all students.
There are two types of Title I programs: Targeted Assistance School programs (TAS) and Schoolwide Title I programs. Schools are identified and authorized to implement one of these programs based on the percentage of students receiving free and/or reduced meals.
- The Targeted Assistance School program (TAS) allows Title I teachers to provide services to a select group of children. Title I funds may only be used to provide services to children who are identified as having the greatest need for educational assistance.
- The Schoolwide program allows all students to be eligible for additional academic support. Federal funds are used to support and enhance the overall school program. Title I funds may be used to upgrade the entire school’s educational program so that the overall education of ALL children who attend the school can be improved.
Annual Title I school eligibility is determined by the school's average poverty rate as determined by student eligibility for Free/Reduced Lunch. Currently, all Title I schools in the Essex Westford School District operate as Targeted Assistance School (TAS) programs.
Title I schools in the Essex Westford Schools include:
- Summit Street School
- Thomas Fleming School
- Albert D Lawton School
Eligibility for Title I services in a school is not dependent on the student's poverty rate but is determined based on academic performance and eligibility for intervention services.
How can I as a parent be involved in my child’s success? Parent Compact
- Attend family programs at your child's school.
- Join school committees.
- Provide input for how how schools can use Title I parental involvement funds.
- Offer suggestions to schools for how to increase parental engagement.
- Share responsibilities with teachers for your child’s success.
What is Title I Family Involvement?
Title I schools receive funding to provide family and community programs. Examples include:
- Family math or literacy nights.
- Curriculum nights
- Parent education workshops
- Learning materials
Jackie Tolman, Director of Learning and Instructional Impact
802 857 2019 or firstname.lastname@example.org