Essex Robotics Club
EHS Robotics Team is a part of FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology). The FIRST high school competition was first held in 1989, and has since grown to over 1600 teams worldwide, in which 42,000 high school students participate with the assistance of approximately 23,000 mentors.
In addition, robot Lego leagues have been created for grade school and middle school students. Participants of the high school event are eligible for over nine million dollars in scholarships.
Our team is registered to compete in the First Tech Challenge (FTC). FTC is a mid-level robotics competition for high-school students. We will be competing in regional competitions and winning teams become eligible to compete in the World Championship Event in St. Louis, Missouri.
We build a robot that competes with other robots in accomplishing a task and the robot earns points for different parts of the task. Details about the competition can be found at First Tech Challenge (leaves this website.)
If you are not sure if the Robotics Team is for you, then ask yourself the following questions.
- Do you like solving complex problems with relative ease?
- Do you like to express your creativity by building things?
- Are you interested in the latest technologies?
- Do you think Star Wars is fiction, but Star Trek is real?
- Does your inner geek need a place to hang out?
- Do the characters on the show Big Bang Theory seem normal to you?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, then you should check out the robotics club.