Degrees and Certifications:
Subject Area: Math
I am thrilled to be teaching math again this year at ADL! My favorite class time experiences are when students have that 'light bulb' moments and say "I get it!" after they have been thinking about a concept. I also love it when students discuss (ok, argue) about math. Such fantastic learning opportunities.
I am a long time Essex resident. I even went to Essex High School.
In my free time I love to read (only happy endings please!), cook, and bike.
Two of my 3 sons now live in Seattle and one in Boston so I visit those cities as often as possible.
I am really looking forward to this school year. Exciting times ahead!
The critical areas that 7th grade focuses on to solve problems are:
- Extending understanding of rates and ratios to include proportional relationships.
- Fluently operate with all rational numbers. (Fractions, decimals, integers)
- Working with expressions and linear equations.
- Solving problems involving scale drawings, and working with two- and three-dimensional shapes to solve problems involving area, surface area, and volume.
- Drawing inferences about populations based on samples.
The critical areas that 8th grade focuses on to solve problems are:
- Formulating and reasoning about expressions and equations, including modeling data with a linear equation.
- Solving linear equations and systems of linear equations.
- Developing the concept of a function and using functions to describe quantitative relationships.
- Analyzing two- and three-dimensional space and figures using distance, angle, similarity, and congruence.
- Understanding and applying the Pythagorean Theorem and its converse.
Types of Learning:
Students will show their understanding through projects, classwork performance tasks and assessments.
How to get extra help:
Feel free to email me at email@example.com to arrange a time for us to meet. I often have availability during learning block and after school and even before school by appointment.