First Two Weeks!Posted by Chelsea Henderson on 9/7/2018
These first days of school have flown by! We have spent a lot of time getting to know one another through games and several other activities!
During these first days of school we have spent time learning and practicing the routines of our classroom, such as: how to move safely around the room, morning meeting routines, accessing our classroom library, using our computers, etc.
This second week of school, we have begun to incorporate more academic routines.
We began our reader's workshop this week! In this unit, we are going to read intensely in order to build strong, significant ideas about characters. In order to do that, we need to have access to within reach books. This week, we talked about how to know when a book is too hard. Help make sure your child is reading within reach books at home!
This week we began Number Corner and our Multiplicative Reasoning Unit. We talked about efficient strategies when solving multiplication problems, and a lot of students benfitted from trying out skip counting on the number line!
As a class, we have been wrtiing our Googly Eye stories, as well as our Hopes and Goals. Students should feel free to bring their free writing notebook home!
We have been building our own personal iPad, as well as playing a lot of games, such as: A Warm Wind Blows, Just Like Me, One Missing, Tag, and Group Juggling.
The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo
Questions to begin conversations at home:
- Can you tell me about your read aloud?
- What are some games you played in class this week?
- What is going well in your class?
- What is a social or academic hope you have for this upcoming year?
- What book did you read this week during reader's workshop?
- How can you tell when a book is too hard?
- I hear you are looking at some patterns during number corner. What are you measuring? What is your calendar pattern showing?
- How are you feeling about multiplication?
- Field Trip Permission Slips and Money due September 21
- Please make sure your child is getting enough sleep - we have had a lot of tired kiddos!
- Interesting Read: Interesting Read about Adults, Children, and Technology
- Founders Open House is scheduled for Thursday September 27, 5-7:30 pm.
- Parent Volunteers: I encourage you to fill out your forms ASAP. These background checks are good for two years, but the Parent Volunterr form needs to be updated every year. The volunteer form and pertinent information can be found on the district’s website.
I am so excited about our group this year, and I cannot wait to get to know all of the family members in our community. Thank you for all that you do!
Have a great weekend,