Emergency Preparedness and School Closings
We utilize an automated emergency notification system in the event of a school closing (due to weather or an emergency), which relies on the most up-to-date information you provide. Please notify each student’s school if any contact information changes (including home/cell work phone, email, addresses, etc.).
In the event of school closings, parents/guardians, students and employees shall be informed through our emergency notification system, social media, radio and television stations. In addition, all school closing information will be posted to the EWSD website (www.ewsd.org) and on all school sites.
School closing notification is listed by school and posted as close to 6:00 a.m. as possible. If school is closed, all daytime and evening school activities, programs, and events are also cancelled, and notification will be posted online. Radio stations will be notified by 1:00 p.m. if evening adult classes and programs at CTE will also be cancelled.
Closings after school has started
If school must be closed before dismissal time, due to weather or other circumstances, announcements of the revised closing time will be made using the automated notification system, local radio/television stations, and the EWSD/school websites. If students need to be dismissed before the end of the school day, parents/guardians need to have an alternative plan in place and should communicate that plan to both their student and the school, with respect to who is authorized to pick up their child or who will be home to greet them. Generally, schools follow one of two alternatives:
- Students are dismissed (and transported if applicable), or
- Students are kept at school or at an alternative site (if the building is evacuated) until a parent/guardian arrives.
At the preK-3 level, schools will not send students home without first having confirmed this is the desire of the parents/guardians. At the grades 4-12 level, schools will follow the first alternative and dismiss the students, unless told to do otherwise by the parent/guardian. If the parents/guardians are transporting their student home, they should arrive in a timely fashion.
In most emergencies, students will remain and be cared for at the school. In the rare event an emergency prohibits use of the buildings, or re-entry to the building (such as a broken gas or water main, a fire, or toxic chemical spill), students will be transported via school transportation or walked to an evacuation site.
During a school emergency, parents/guardians should:
- Monitor your telephone and email: We will utilize an automated notification system to inform you of the emergency and provide guidance.
- Turn on your radio or television and go online: We will keep the media informed of any emergency. Check this website often for updates.
- Please do not telephone the school: We have limited phone lines and they must be used to respond to the emergency.
- Please do not come to the school unless requested to pick up your student: Any emergency may require emergency vehicles, workers, and/or law enforcement to have access to/from the building. During such a time, parents/guardians will be restricted from accessing school grounds. If the emergency necessitates relocation of staff and students, parents/guardians will be informed via the media, social media, and the website. Parent/guardian identification may be required to dismiss a student. To dismiss a student to any adult other than the parent/guardian will require written permission from the student’s parent/guardian.
School Safety Drills
School safety drills are conducted monthly during the school year. The various procedures for these drills will be reviewed by teachers and students.
There is a Crisis Response Plan posted in each room of the school. When a drill is announced, all students are required to follow planned procedures in an orderly fashion. Students must stay with their class (or assigned group) so teachers can check attendance.