SkillTech: (HVACR) Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration Program
Students will learn the theory and skills necessary to begin a HVACR career and/or continue post-secondary training. Students will master a variety of entry-level HVACR skills as they relate to residential and commercial settings. Students will participate in a variety of lab activities to reinforce the attainment of technical skills. The subjects will be presented through lectures, videos, demonstrations, and hands-on lab activities. The program will be taught as a sequence of courses and students are expected to enroll in all courses. Individual courses may be taken on a space available basis, but students enrolling in all four courses are preferred. All courses are taught by experienced professionals in the field.
The total program is 28 weeks (168 hours) and is divided into four separate courses. Courses and content:
- Tools and Applications: Tools, fasteners, tubing, copper, and soldering/brazing.
- Heating Systems: Ductwork, customer relations, heat pumps, and the following heating systems: gas, oil, and electric.
- Electricity and Motor Controls: Electrical principles, motors, electrical control devices, and defrost cycles.
- Cooling and Refrigeration: Thermodynamic principles, the relationship of temperature and pressure, system components, refrigerants, service procedures (recovery/recycling, evacuation, leak detection, charging), metering devices, troubleshooting, compressors, compressor service, and chillers. Students will be able to test for the Act 608 Refrigerant Handling Certification.
The courses in the program are ideal for students who are motivated to enter the HVACR field and/or continue to post secondary training with Vermont Technical College. All students that successfully complete the program will be referred for employment interviews with one or more partners. HVACR technicians are in high demand and starting wages, with this program, are approximately $20 - 25/hr.
College credit with Vermont Technical College. Students have the option of receiving college credit at VTC for an associates degree. The program is nationally accredited through Partnership for Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Accreditation (PAHRA).
Program endorsers and partners:
- Alliance Mechanical
- Avonda Air Systems
- Blazing Design, Inc.
- Blodgett Supply
- Bourne's Energy
- Chuck's Heating and Air Conditioning
- Climate Systems, Inc.
- Control Technologies
- Efficiency Vermont
- E&M Mechanical
- FW Webb
- Jack's Heating and Air Conditioning
- Jay Mechanical
- KC Mechanical
- Local 693 Plumbers, Pipie Fitters, HVACR Serv. Techs.
- New England Air Systems
- Vermont Department of Labor
- Vermont Energy Contracting
- Vermont Fuel Dealers Association
- Vermont Gas Systems, Inc.
- Vermont Heating and Ventilating
- Vermont Mechanical, Inc.
- Vermont Technical College
Accreditation: Program is accredited by the Partnership for Air Conditioning, Heating, Refrigeration Accreditation (PAHRA) for Residential A/C and Heating and Light Commercial A/C and Heating. Standards are aligned with both industry standards and local service company needs.
Program Schedule (28 weeks): Begins August 30, 2022
1. Tools and Applications (5 weeks, August 30-September 29).
2. Heating Systems (6 weeks, October 11 - November 17).
3. Electricity and Motor Controls (6 weeks, December 6 - January 26).
4. Cooling and Refrigeration (11 weeks, February 14 - April 27).
Day/Time: Class meets on Tuesday and Thursday from 5:30pm - 8:30pm.
Cost of program: $3,400.
Registration Deadline: Maximum of 15 per class on a first come first paid acceptance.
Refund Policy for HVACR Technician Training Program only:
- 100% refund if the HVACR program is cancelled by SkillTech for any reason.
- 100% refund if the student withdraws from the program two weeks or more prior to the start date of the first course of the program.
- 40% refund if the student withdraws from the program two weeks prior to the start date of the third course of the program.
Note! If a student receives financial aid from VSAC, any refund will not include VSAC grant.
Instructors: Paul Blanchard: Cooling and Refrigeration; Heating Systems, Electricity and Motor Controls. Peter Monty: Tools and Applications
Financial Aid: Press Here