Responsible Computer, Network, and Internet Use Policy
Internet access is available to students and educators across the EWSD.
EWSD believes access to the internet offers vast, diverse, and unique resources to both students and teachers.
Our goal in providing this service to educators and students is to promote educational excellence in our schools by facilitating resource sharing, innovation, and communication. The network relies upon proper conduct of end users who must adhere to strict guidelines.
These guidelines are provided so the user is aware of the required responsibilities. In general, this requires efficient, ethical, and legal utilization of the network resources.
Related: Visit Technology Safety, a set of protocols of how we ensure safe use and privacy
If a user within EWSD violates any of these provisions, their account may be suspended, and future access could possibly be denied.
Further disciplinary measures may also be taken. An Electronic Information Resource Agreement between EWSD and the user will be provided to students in grade four and to newly registered students, indicating the user who signed has carefully read the terms and conditions, and understands its significance. This agreement is maintained in each student’s file.
Terms and Conditions
These policies shall apply to:
- Users of electronic information resources which are utilized with equipment located or accessed in the district
- Users who obtain their access privileges through association with the district
I will accept responsibility in reporting misuse of the network to the System Administrator or a school principal. Misuse can come in many forms, but it is commonly viewed as any material sent or received indicating or suggesting pornography, unethical or illegal behavior, racism, sexism, inappropriate language, or violation or other issues described below.
Responsible Use Guidelines
- I agree that the use of electronic information resources must be in support of education, research, and the educational goals and objectives of the district.
- I agree not to submit, publish, display, or retrieve any defamatory, abusive, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, racially offensive, harassing, illegal material other than for educational purposes as approved by a district educator.
- I will protect my own and others’ information. I will not reveal others’ personal address or phone numbers.
- I will lock or log off my device when I am not using it.
- I understand that email is not private.
- I will not use the network in any way that would disrupt the use of the network by others.
- I understand that many services and products are available for free and acknowledge that I am responsible for any expenses incurred (such as online buying, research fees, etc.).
- I will not use the network for commercial purposes.
- I will follow the rules of the District’s Discipline and Required Student Behavior policy while using electronic information resources.
- I will not attempt to harm, modify, or destroy hardware or software, or interfere with system security.
- I will use a password that has at least one special character, is not a word that can be found in the dictionary and is at least six characters long.
- I agree not to bypass the district’s internet filter by using a proxy site, web browser plugin, or any other method.
- I agree not to intentionally hide, obscure, mask or encrypt data on the network.
- I agree not to connect district owned wireless devices to mobile hotspots on school property.
- I agree to not lock district owned devices by putting passwords on them or enabling lock screens.
- I agree to remove my unwanted or unused files regularly.
- I will not use, or attempt to use, others’ electronic passwords or account information.
- Online behavior should reflect the same standards of honesty, respect, and consideration used face-to-face. Any speech that is considered inappropriate in the classroom is inappropriate online. This includes, but is not limited to: profanity; racist, sexist or discriminatory remarks; and personal attacks. All EWSD policies and procedures are relevant when using social media.
- Respect copyright and fair use guidelines. Refer to the U.S. Copyright Office (www.copyright.gov), along with Fair Use and EWSD Copyright Policy and Handbook and references.
- Be sure to familiarize yourself with all Terms and Conditions prior to using any online services including age requirements.
- The district reserves the right to log the use of all systems and monitor file server and cloud space utilization.
- The building administrator is authorized to close an account at any time through the System Administrator, whose decision may be appealed to the Superintendent. The decision of the Superintendent is final.
- The district is not responsible for any service interruptions, changes, or consequences arising there from, even if these arise from circumstances under the control of the district.
- The district makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied. Service is provided on an “as is, as available” basis.
- The district reserves the right to establish rules and regulations as may be necessary to maintain the operation of the electronic information systems.
Infractions of the provisions set forth in this Agreement may result in the suspension or termination of access privileges and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
Activities in violation of state and federal statutes will be subject to prosecution by those authorities. Disciplinary action may be taken by the district as appropriate.
The administration, faculty, and staff of the district may request the System Administrator to deny specific user accounts due to inappropriate use.