Core Values and Beliefs
Essex High School is a mission-driven and learner-centered community that believes, through both independent and collaborative engagement, everyone can develop excellence in their individual pursuits. We offer a rigorous and varied curriculum and believe in challenging students to think critically and act responsibly, compassionately, and respectfully. We foster intellectual curiosity and resourcefulness, so that students can engage in their learning to achieve the behaviors, skills, and knowledge essential to becoming contributing members of their community and citizens of a diverse and ever-changing world.
EHS adopted the following competencies in May 2011 as a part of the accreditation process through the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC.org - opens in a new window):
- Read and critically analyze a range of texts, media, and forms of art for a variety of purposes.
- Communicate clearly and creatively for a variety of purposes and audiences.
- Engage in the writing process when producing formal pieces of writing.
- Demonstrate a command of grammar, usage, and mechanics in writing.
- Formulate questions and solve problems.
- Effectively analyze and evaluate information in order to draw valid conclusions.
- Demonstrate mathematical literacy and reasoning skills.
- Understand which learning styles and strategies best facilitate their own learning.
- Demonstrate an understanding of personal finance.
- Use appropriate technological tools and information literacy skills to solve problems and enhance learning.
- Demonstrate and foster compassion, respect, responsibility, and integrity.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with peers and adults within the school and greater community to support academic, personal, and social development.
- Make decisions that will positively influence social, emotional, and physical health and well-being.
- Understand choices have consequences.
- Understand and exhibit citizenship in order to be a contributing member of a democracy and of a global community.
- Understand a wide variety of post-secondary options.