C6. Participation of Home Study Students

  • Policy Code: C6

    First Reading: November 15, 2016
    Second Reading: December 6, 2016
    Adopted: December 6, 2016
    Adopted revisions: October 11, 2022 

    arrow Related: See Procedure C6-P1: Participating in Home Study



    It is the policy of Essex Westford Educational Community Unified Union School District (EWECUUSD) to comply with the requirements of Act 119 of 1998 by allowing students in the home study program to participate in courses, programs, activities, and services and use school educational materials and equipment under the requirements set forth in the law for home school programs that are officially approved by the Vermont Agency of Education

    Desired access by students in the State approved home study program to district programs, materials, or resources shall be made in writing to the appropriate principal, who shall have the authority to determine the school’s capacity to provide such access. The principal’s determination of sufficient resource capacity shall include consideration of the existing school programs’ requirements. Instructional time, space, and class size shall be among the considerations made in determining capacity.

    An appeal of the principal’s determination may be made to the Superintendent whose decision shall be final. The principal will ensure that the appropriate denial form is submitted to the Vermont Agency of Education within 30 days.

    Students who participate in home study who participate in school programs or access resources are subject to the same eligibility rules, attendance requirements, EWECUUSD policies, EWECUUSD codes of conduct and responsibility as are other students.

    Limitations to materials and services available to home schools will be consistent with those same limitations incurred by district students.

    The Superintendent will develop administrative procedures that comply with rules promulgated by the Vermont State Board of Education as is necessary to implement this policy.


    Legal Reference(s):