Policy Code: C7
First Reading: December 20, 2016
Second Reading: January 3, 2017
Adopted: January 3, 2017
It is the policy of the Essex Westford Educational Community Unified Union School District (EWECUUSD) to set high expectations for consistent student school attendance in accordance with Vermont law in order to facilitate and enhance student learning. Legal pupils between the ages of 6 and 16 and who are residents of the school district and non-resident pupils who enroll in school district schools are required to attend school for the full number of days that school is held unless they are excused from attendance as provided in state law. Students who are over the age of 16 are required to attend school continually for the full number of the school days for which they are enrolled, unless they are mentally or physically unable to continue, or are excused by the superintendent in writing.
Annually, the superintendent shall ensure that the school board appoints one or more individuals to serve as the truant officer, and shall ensure that appointment is recorded with the clerk of the school district.
The superintendent shall develop administrative rules and procedures to ensure the implementation of this policy.
Administrative Rules and Procedures
The procedures will address the following issues and may include others as well:
- written excuses
- notification of parents/guardian
- signing out of school
- excessive absenteeism
- homebound and hospitalized students
- early dismissals
- homework assignments
- making up work
- The principal is responsible for maintaining accurate and up-to- date records of student attendance.
- The principal is responsible for assuring that the school has the appropriate family information that allows the school to contact the parent(s) or guardian(s) of all students whenever necessary.
- 16 V.S.A. §§1121 et seq. (Attendance required)
- 16 V.S.A. § 1125 (Truant officers)
- VT State Board of Education Manual of Rules & Practices: §2188.8.131.52
- Admission of Resident Students
- Admission of Non-Resident Tuition Students