Student Privacy Rights
Policy Code: C8
First Reading: December 20, 2016
Second Reading: January 3, 2017
Adopted: January 3, 2017
It is the intent of the Essex Westford Educational Community Unified Union School District (EWECUUSD) to comply with the provisions of the federal Pupil Privacy Rights Amendment (PPRA) and Vermont State Board of Education Rules governing the administration of certain student surveys, analyses or evaluations.
The superintendent of his or her designee shall develop administrative procedures to ensure school district compliance with applicable federal and state laws related to pupil privacy. The administrative procedures shall include provisions related to the following legal requirements.
- The right of parents or eligible students to inspect surveys created by third parties before administration or distribution of the surveys to students;
- Any applicable procedures for granting request by a parent for access to such survey within reasonable time after a request is received;
- Arrangements to protect student privacy in the event of the administration or distribution of a survey to a student containing one or more of the items listed in the federal Pupil Privacy Rights Amendment;
- The right of a parent to inspect any instructional material used as part of the educational curriculum for the parent’s child, and any applicable procedures for granting access to such material within a reasonable time after the request is
- The administration of physical examinations or screenings that the school district may administer to a student;
- The collection, disclosure or use of personal information collected from students for the purpose of marketing or for selling that information, including arrangements to protect student privacy in the event of such collection, disclosure or use.
- The right of a parent of a student to inspect any instrument used in the collection of personal information under subparagraph (6) above, and any applicable procedures for granting a request for such inspection within a reasonable time
after receiving the request;
- Provisions to ensure that parents are notified of the school district policies and procedures adopted to comply with federal and state laws and regulations gboverning pupil privacy, including, but not limited to, notification of activities
involving the collection of personal information from students, the administration of surveys containing items specifically listed in the Pupil Privacy Rights Amendment.
- See 20 U.S.C. 1232h.
- See Vermont State Board of Education Rule 2120.8.12(f).
- The federal law and state regulations requiring board policies on this subject are in some instances limited to
surveys, analyses or evaluations funded in whole or in part by the U.S. Department of Education. See 20 U.S.C. §1232h(c)(1). At the board’s discretion, the protections provided by this policy could be expanded to include all surveys conducted by the school district, regardless of the survey’s funding source.
- See 20 U.S.C. §1232h(c)(1).
- See 20 U.S.C. §1232h(c)(1)(B) for the list of eight items that must be included.
- See 20 U.S.C. §1232h(c)(1)(C).
- See 20 U.S.C. §1232h(c)(1)(D).
- See 20 U.S.C. §1232h(c)(1)(E).
- See 20 U.S.C. §1232h(c)(1)(F)
- See 20 U.S.C. §1232h(c)(2).