SkillTech: Expanded Functions Dental Assisting
The program provides didactic instruction, laboratory and clinical exercises for advanced operative procedures. The following seven weeks of instruction at the Center for Technology, Essex will consist of 98 hours of diactic instruction and 87 hours of laboratory practical experience before performing required clinical competencies under the direct supervision of the sponsoring dentist. The EFDA student's externship will be with the sponsoring dentist or associates in the practice if primary dentist is unavailable. A final bench test will be administered using the Commission on Dental Competency Assessments criteria, formerly known as NERB.
Eligibility for admission:
- Proof of or declination of immunization for Hepatitis B.
- Four-handed denistry experience and competency in the fabrication of provisional crowns is required.
- Proof of two years as a full-time Restorative Chairside Dental Assistant and one year as a full-time certified dental assistant as of March 1, 2021 or
Proof of two consequtive years as a full-time Registered Dental Hygientist plus one year documented chairside dental assiting experience.
- Candidate's sponsoring dentist will be responsible for the clinical externship.
- Proof of health insurance.
You will be required to attend:
- Didactic Sessions (98)
- Practical Lab Sessions (87 hours)
- Clinical Competecies Externship
- Bench Test
- On-site Class/Lab
June 21 - August 6, 2021 (on-site)
8:30am - 3:30am
Monday - Friday
- Externship with Sponsoring Dentist
August - January
Deadline: March 1, 2021
Location: CTE Dental Assisting Classroom, 2 Educational Dr., Essex Junction, VT
Registration Process: Register online and a detailed hard-copy application/information registration packet will be mailed to you to fill out and submit.
SkillTech Nondiscrimination Statement
SkillTech is committed to providing a comfortable and encouraging learning environment for all students. We support and value tolerance and responsibility and expect students to treat each other and the staff with respect. Disrespectful behavior is unwelcome, and interactions that are offensive will not be tolerated.
The Center for Technology, Essex does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national
origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, or age in its programs or
activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies:
Bob Travers, Director
2 Educational Drive Suite 200
Essex Junction, VT 05452