4.3. Agenda Planning
First Reading: May 18, 2021
Adopted: June 1, 2021
Policy Title: 4.3. Agenda Planning
To accomplish its job description with a governance style consistent with board policies, the board will follow an annual work plan that:
- completes a review of Ends policies annually.
- continually improves board performance through board education and enriched input and deliberation
- provides a mechanism to record and save opportunities for improvements and
- allows the board to meet its legal obligations
- The cycle will conclude each year on the last day of June, coinciding with the end of the school fiscal year, so that administrative planning and budgeting can be based on accomplishing a one-year segment of the board’s most recent statement of long-term Ends.
- The cycle will start with the board’s development of its agenda for the next year. The Chair will provide a report of the board’s work from the previous cycle and, in consultation with other board members and the Superintendent, will create an annual agenda. These will be presented to the board for review no later than the last scheduled meeting of the planning year. The annual work plan will be approved at the meeting following an annual retreat of the ----- Union Board prior to the start of the new school year.
- Consultations with selected groups in the ownership, or other methods of gaining ownership input.
- Governance education and education related to Ends determination (presentations by futurists, demographers, advocacy groups, staff, and so on)
- A board member may recommend or request an item for board discussion by submitting the item to the Chair no later than five days before the agenda is to be warned.
- Throughout the year, the board will attend to consent agenda items as expeditiously as possible. Only the majority of the board can remove an item from the consent agenda for discussion.
- Superintendent monitoring will be included on the agenda in accordance with the board’s schedule.