Peanut Free/Tree Nut Free Information
Always, always, always, READ the food label BEFORE you send in food to a peanut free/tree nut free classroom, EVEN for those food listed below.
If you find food ingredients are NOT available on the label, avoid that food. For a list of EWSD allergens (potentially contained in foods served within the district) and protocol, visit our Allergens & Protocol page.
Foods to avoid for students with a peanut allergy:
- peanut butter
- peanut flour
- mixed nuts
- ground nuts
- artificial nuts
- beer nuts
- nut pieces
- expelled, extruded or cold pressed peanut oil
- monkey nuts
- nu-nuts-flavored nuts
- arachis oil. Arachis oil is peanut oil.
The following may contain peanut protein:
Asian dishes – Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, egg rolls.
Mexican dishes - enchiladas sauces, chili.
Also take precautions with candy and chocolate candies, nougat, natural and artificial flavorings, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, hydrolyzed plan protein, marzipan, sunflower seeds, nut butter, bakery items.
Tip – Take precautions around bird feed and other animal feeds. Many animal food products have peanut ingredients.
Foods to avoid for tree nut allergy
Nutmeat, nut meal, nougat, natural nut extracts, nut butters, nan-gai nuts, gianduja (in some chocolates/nut mixture), marzipan or almond paste, filbert or hazelnuts, cashews, chestnuts, Brazil nuts, caponata, almonds, artificial nuts, macadamia nuts, mandelonas, nut oil, nut paste, nut pieces, pecans, pesto, pine nuts, pistachios, praline and walnuts, natural and artificial flavoring, beware of bakery items and chocolate candy
Tip #1 – Pine nuts are also referred as Indian, pignon nuts, pinyon, pignoli, and pignolia
Tip #2 – Read labels on your lotions, shampoos, creams, and other cosmetic products. Many of these contain tree nut ingredients.
READ EVERY LABEL EVERY TIME
Peanut Free & Tree Nut Free Snack List
Please avoid snacks that contain peanuts, peanut flour, peanut oil, or peanut butter or other nuts. This includes snacks with almonds, coconuts, filberts, Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamia nut, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios, and walnuts.
Please note: food labels/ingredients may change over time, so it is always recommended that you read the label before purchasing snacks. Please read labels carefully to make sure the products are NUT free. This includes labels that read “May contain traces of peanuts/nuts.”
Quick check brands: Kellogg’s, Keebler, General Mills, Betty Crocker, and Quaker Oats brands are excellent at calling out allergens in a box:
Example: CONTAINS PEANUT AND EGG INGREDIANTS
Thank you for your consideration and support in keeping the food-allergic child safe from having a life-threatening allergic reaction at school.
FRUITS / VEGETABLES
- Any fresh fruit (apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, pears, plums, clementines, strawberries, melons, berries, etc.)
- Applesauce cups (and assorted variety fruit flavored applesauce)
- Raisins, Craisins, and other dried fruits
- Fruit cups (peaches, pears, oranges, pineapple, fruit cocktail, fruit blends, etc.)
- Fresh vegetables (baby carrots, celery sticks, grape tomatoes, cucumber slices, broccoli, pepper strips)
- Vegetable dips
CHEESE / DAIRY
- Yogurt in individual cups or tubes
- Pudding in individual cups, cans or tubes
- String cheese or other cheeses (1oz)
- Drinkable yogurt or smoothies
- Cottage Cheese
- Kraft Handi-snacks with cheese (with red sticks) ****Be careful with any other type of prepackaged cheese & cracker sandwiches, most contain nuts/traces of nuts