Welcome to Kindergarten!
The Essex Westford School District has 4 kindergarten programs that are full day, and take place at
- Essex Elementary School for Essex Town residents (8 classes)
- Summit Street School and Hiawatha Elementary School for residents of Essex Junction (3 classes at each school - 6 classes total)
- Westford School for residents of Westford (1 class)
Students living in Essex Junction may be assigned to either Hiawatha or Summit Street schools.
Eligible kindergartners for the coming school year must be five years old on or before September 1.
No buses are offered at this time for Summit or Hiawatha students. Check out Summit's Getting To School page for more information on getting your child to school.
- Fill out a EWSD Kindergarten Registration Packet. (Some families saw a deadline to return on March 29. Kindergarteners can be enrolled at any time, but this helps us assign 2019 school locations early.)
- Return the package, including all required documentation, to one of the schools listed on the packet cover page.
- Look for a letter by April 19 which will provide information about Kindergarten Screening Day on May 9. Screenings are held at the school your child has been assigned to (in most cases).
- Attend the Thursday, May 9 screening. Parents will have an opportunity to ask questions at the screening, while learners will meet with the K teaching team.
- Look for summer mailing. Classroom assignments are mailed in the summer. Some teachers have class meetups over the summer you can attend.
Kindergarten Registration Forms
EWSD Kindergarten Registration Packet (link opens in a new page.)
- In order to start filling the form electronically, please download it first on your computer. The "Download" icon is the one with the arrow pointing to a horizontal line:
- If you are using a Chromebook or Google Drive, please fill form out using a PDF reader extension or plugin, and save it before sending.
- Families who are in EWSD pre-K programs or who receive Act 166 funds/state funds for other preschool programs do not need to re-send proof of residence or a birth certificate.