Welcome to Kindergarten!
The Essex Westford School District has 4 kindergarten programs that are full day, and take place at
- Essex Elementary School for Essex Town residents (8 classes)
- Summit Street School and Hiawatha Elementary School for residents of Essex Junction (3 classes at Hiawatha, 4 at Summit - 7 classes total)
- Westford School for residents of Westford (1 class)
Eligible kindergartners for the coming school year must be five years old on or before September 1.
Check out our Transportation page for more information on getting your child to school.
Learn more under For Families.
Photo: Incoming kindergarten students participate in the Westford K screening.
How to Enroll
- Fill out and return a EWSD Kindergarten Registration Packet, and either drop or send it in to the school in advance, or on the day of, orientation if you are able.
- Attend a parent orientation. Westford School hosts two informational "Parent Orientations" on the same day in June. They are designed for both parents/guardians AND incoming kindergarten students to come together. Learn about important school procedures, registration processes, buses, meet our staff, and have your questions answered.
- K screening happens on the same day as orientation at Westford. Children are able to meet the class's teacher, and staff can identify if any additional support is needed for the learner.
- Look for summer mailings. Teachers are in contact with new learners over the summer, and she will reach out in the days leading up to kindergarten.
Photo: Families meet and talk with Ms. Shumway at the K screening in 2019.
Kindergarten Registration Forms
EWSD Kindergarten Registration Packet (link opens in a new page.)
- In order to start filling the form electronically, please download it first on your computer. The "Download" icon is the one with the arrow pointing to a horizontal line:
- If you are using a Chromebook or Google Drive, please fill form out using a PDF reader extension or plugin, and save it before sending.
- Families who are in EWSD pre-K programs or who receive Act 166 funds/state funds for other preschool programs do not need to re-send proof of residence or a birth certificate.