Farm to School in EWSD
FARM TO SCHOOL NEWS: The Harvest of the Month for January is Beets!! Students will have the chance to try beets from Last Resort Farm in Monkton VT. The recipe below is featured on our menu for all schools on January 11!
Lemon-Herb Roasted Beets
- 1 lb beets
- 4 tsp olive or canola oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs or 2 tsp dried herbs
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Trim and cut beets into 1 inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine oil, herbs lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Add beets and toss to coat.
- Spread beets evenly on a baking sheet.
- Roast, stirring occasionally, until beets are tender (about 20-25 minutes). Remove from oven and toss with lemon juice. Serve warm.
Source: Harvest of the month
EWSD Receives $4,500 Grant for Farm to School Initiatives
The Essex Westford School District (EWSD) Child Nutrition Program/Farm to School and the Farm to School Community Committee have received a $4,500 Lowe’s Toolbox for Education grant for hands-on learning in the District’s gardens and classrooms initiatives. The mission of the grant application was based on the goal to promote healthy eating and raise awareness of local food systems. Read the full story.