Farm to School in EWSD
FARM TO SCHOOL NEWS: October was National Farm to School Month! Here at Child Nutrition and Farm to School, we are celebrating by incorporating local fruits and vegetables on our menus. We always serve Vermont Maple Syrup as well as fresh apples grown from a variety of VT farms!
You can celebrate Farm to School Month by cooking up this delicious recipe to include the VT Harvest of the Month:
Sweet Potato Hummus
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- Olive Oil (for drizzling)
- 3 tablespoons pure tahini or tahini butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 lime halved
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Scatter sweet potato and garlic across a parchement-lined baking sheet, generously drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Roast, tossing halfway through, until garlic is golden brown and sweet potato is tender and browned in a few spots, about 40-45 minutes.
- Let vegetables cool slightly, then transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Add tahini and salt and squeeze in juice from lime.
- While motor is running, gradually add 1 cup water until you reach a smooth consistency. Season with salt if needed
Source: Bon Appetit
EWSD Receives $4,500 Grant for Farm to School Initiatives
The Essex Westford School District (EWSD) Child Nutrition Program/Farm to School and the Farm to School Community Committee have received a $4,500 Lowe’s Toolbox for Education grant for hands-on learning in the District’s gardens and classrooms initiatives. The mission of the grant application was based on the goal to promote healthy eating and raise awareness of local food systems. Read the full story.