Farm to School in EWSD
FARM TO SCHOOL NEWS: We are so excited to announce the expansion of the EWSD Farm to School Program and the accomplishment of having a growing space at almost every school in the district! We have been working hard with the teachers and staff at each school to make sure that their gardens are up and running by the end of the school year! Starting in September, we will begin the integration of vegetables from our gardens into our school lunches. Our gardens will help to ensure that we are Growing hearts and minds for a better today and tomorrow: everyday, every way, every one.
Check out the photos below from our end of the year BBQ's and some of the garden spaces in EWSD!
Spring Greens Pesto
- 1 1/2 cups packed greens
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place greens, and garlic in a food processor and blend until everything is finely chopped. Scrape down sides of the bowl and process again.
- Add parmesan cheese and, with motor running, add olive oil in a stead stream. When the pesto looks saucy, stop adding oil.
- Turn off food processor. Mix in salt and pepper to taste.
EWSD Receives $4,500 Grant for Farm to School Initiatives
The Essex Westford School District (EWSD) Child Nutrition Program/Farm to School and the Farm to School Community Committee have received a $4,500 Lowe’s Toolbox for Education grant for hands-on learning in the District’s gardens and classrooms initiatives. The mission of the grant application was based on the goal to promote healthy eating and raise awareness of local food systems. Read the full story.