Farm to School in EWSD
FARM TO SCHOOL NEWS: Big thanks to Tucker Maple Sugarhouse in Westford for supplying our schools with Maple Syrup this year!
Maple and Mustard Roasted Vegetables
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup coarse chopped onion
- 5 cups coarsely chopped root vegetables (parsnips,rutabaga, carrot, beets, etc)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss root vegetables and onion with olive oil, salt and pepper and spread evenly on a baking sheet.
- Roast for about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Combine maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Drizzle over veggies and mix to coat evenly.
- Return veggies to oven and cook until tender and glaze has begun to caramalize.
Source: Harvest of the Month
EWSD Receives $4,500 Grant for Farm to School Initiatives
The Essex Westford School District (EWSD) Child Nutrition Program/Farm to School and the Farm to School Community Committee have received a $4,500 Lowe’s Toolbox for Education grant for hands-on learning in the District’s gardens and classrooms initiatives. The mission of the grant application was based on the goal to promote healthy eating and raise awareness of local food systems. Read the full story.