- Essex High School
Return to Headlines
Ebook and Audiobook Resources
- Libby App - Free app from Overdrive to check out ebooks and audiobooks from your local public library. Instructions on GMLC’s webpage. (If you’ve never tried Libby before, you will need to contact your public library for your password.
- Spotify - lots of free audiobooks including young adult titles! Sign up for a free Spotify account (warning: free accounts mean you have to listen to ads). Then download the app from your app store. To read a detailed explanation of how to find audiobooks on Spotify, see this post on Epic Reads. Audiobooks are listed as “albums.” To save one to your library, tap the heart. Saved audiobooks are found in the album section of your library.
- Riveted "Free Reads" by Simon & Schuster - the publisher offers free online reading for several YA titles each month.
- Free Web Comics - This Google Doc page provides a curated list of online comics for manga and graphic novel fans.
- Google Books - read or listen from your computer or phone (you will need the Google Play app on your phone). However, you cannot see the free ebooks and audiobooks from the app; you can browse the free titles on this page of their website.
- Project Gutenberg - includes thousands of public domain ebooks for free use on any device. Most copyright-free titles were published before 1924. For students with access via Chromebook only, pdf format is recommended. Students with ipads/iphones can download the epub format. The Kindle format is also available.
- Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more. They've curated a National Emergency Library collection to support education during this crisis.
Magazines and Newspapers
- Go to the VOL site (click the above links)
- Choose All Resources and then Popular Magazines
- On the right, Click Go To Publication Search, and enter the magazine/newspaper you’re looking for.
- Click on the magazine/newspaper you want, and select an issue by date. You’ll see all of the articles in that issue.