2019-2020 EWSD Transportation Information
August 9, 2019
2019-2020 EWSD Bus Routes
New Transportation Procedures
The Essex Westford School District (EWSD) has developed new transportation procedures. In this document, families will find helpful information on how to prepare for a successful bus experience, bus behavior guidelines, and safety tips for bus riders, walkers, bikers, and drivers.
Essex Village Routes
Busing is new to our Village schools this year. All K-8 students outside walking zones will have yellow school bus routes. Families are encouraged to review EWSD Transportation Procedures to prepare for a positive bus experience and meet us at the engagement events listed below.
The entire Village will remain a walking zone for EHS students, however, these students will have free access to the GMT Blue Line (see below).
The EWSD Transportation staff has scheduled a series of community engagement events to help familiarize parents and students with busing and answer questions:
- August 13, 7-9 p.m., EHS Auditorium - EWSD Community Transportation Meeting
- August 12, 6:00-8:00 p.m., Summit Street School - Family Playground Night
- August 26, 5:00-6:00 p.m., Essex Middle School - Ice Cream Social
- August 27, 8:30-10:30 a.m., Albert D Lawton - Incoming 6th Grade Event
- August 27, 1:30-3:00 p.m., Summit Street School - Open House
- September 17, 6:15-7:30 p.m., Hiawatha - Open House
- September 19, 6:00-7:00 p.m., Albert D Lawton - Open House
- September 25, 6:30-8:00 p.m., Thomas Fleming School - Open House
- September 26, 5:00-7:00 p.m., Founders Memorial - Open House Spaghetti Dinner
- October 3, 6:00-7:30 p.m., Essex Elementary - Open House
- October 10, 6:00-7:00 p.m., Essex Middle School - Open House
Public Transportation - Green Mountain Transit (GMT)
GMT will be the busing option for EHS students living within 0.75 miles of these routes.
Students ride for free to and from school and school events Monday through Saturday by showing a school ID to the driver. At the start of the school year, before IDs are issued, students can simply tell the driver that they are an EWSD student.
GMT routes are available on a voluntary basis for middle school students (ADL and EMS). Middle school students will also have a yellow school bus route assigned. Using GMT may offer quicker trips to and from home, and greater accessibility for activities and athletics.
The District believes that using public transportation is a life skill, an environmentally conscious choice, and a wise use of taxpayer resources.
Please note the new names and schedules for GMT routes:
- Silver Loop (formerly #4 Essex Center)
- Blue Line (formerly #2 Essex & #6 Shelburne Rd)
Route and schedule information is available at: www.RideGMT.com
And via the Google Maps transit icon:
Westford, Georgia, and K-8 Essex Town Routes
These routes have stop and time adjustments from the 2018-19 versions. Families are encouraged to review their specific stop info.
Town EHS Students on K-8 Routes
Essex High School students in the Town who live outside of GMT walk-to-stop distances will be assigned to yellow school buses, and ride with K-8 students.
- Each grade grouping (K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12) will have a designated seating area on the bus.
- EHS students will have transfer buses to and from EHS that connect with route buses at Essex Elementary.
- Some EHS students will need to wait for these connecting buses in the morning at EES. Staff will be present, and students are expected to follow behavior guidelines found in the parent-student handbook.
The EWSD was able to expand our number of bus aides/monitors this year. These EWSD staff will ride routes as necessary to help acclimate students in the Village to busing, and encourage and reinforce behavior norms on all routes.
Dedicated Islands Route for EHS and ADL
The Island route will not be shared with Colchester School District this year. This allows us to offer AM and PM service to ADL students, and add the Chimney Corners stop back into the route.
The District now has a general transportation line that is staffed from first pick-up to last drop-off of our school-day routes. You can reach us at: (802) 857-7077 or via email at: email@example.com